An excellent presentation at the Northwest Food Processors Association trade show and conference highlighted the real impact of consumers need to be green. Here are the results of a world wide consumer study by Ball Corporation in Boulder, CO:
- Sustainable Packaging sales were $88 Billion in 2009 and will grow to $170 Billion by 2012.
- 60% of US consumers say they will pay more for ‘Green’ products
- 84% Look for the Recycle symbol on packaging
- The aluminum Wine Bottle is growing in Australia – it is lighter and easier to recycle
- People are asking for ‘right-sized’ packaging, minimalist packaging, and smaller, semi-permanent containers
- The rest of the world is leading the USA in Green Packaging – in Europe recycling is a ‘duty’, while in USA it is still seen as a choice